Chronic pancreatitis may be defined as the inflammation of the pancreas that does not heals or improves but it get worsened up with time.
Whenever there is inflammation in the pancreas, it cannot produce the enzymes effectively and thus the body is unable to digest fat and other important parts of food.
Causes of Pancreatitis:
Alcohol: Taking large amount of alcohol for a long time is one of the major causes for the pancreatitis. Consumption of alcohol over a period of time may lead to pancreatitis which is followed by the chronic pancreatitis.
Autoimmune problems: This is defined as the condition in which the immune system of the body attacks the body itself.
Blockage of the pancreatic Duct: There might be a blockage in the pancreatic duct. Pancreatic duct is the tube that drains enzymes in the body. Whenever there is a blockage on the bile duct or the pancreatic duct, there might be condition of chronic pancreatitis.
Use of medications like estrogens, corticosteroids, thiazide diuretics, and azathioprine may lead to the inflammation in the pancreas.
Cystic fibrosis: In this disease there is a development of a thick sticky mucos in the lungs, digestive tract and other organs of the body. The development of such sticky mucos in the pancreas may lead to an inflammation in the pancreas.
Hyperparathyroidism: This is excessive production of parathyroid hormone (PTH) in the body.
The symptoms of the pancreatitis are:
1) Abdominal Pain: There is a continuous abdominal pain in the upper part of the stomach which may lead up to as much as 10 hours which may get worst after eating or drinking.
2) Back pain: The pain due to chronic pancreatitis may also be felt at the back.
3) Chronic weight loss: if there is a serious weight loss which may be accompanied by the abdominal pain.
4) Diarrhea /Vomiting and Nausea: This is another symptom of pancreatitis. If over a period of time and after proper medications the diarrhea is not cured, than it might be due to the pancreatitis.
Test for identification:
Fecal fat test:This test is used to check the amount of fecal in the stool.
Serum Amylase test:This test is used to check the content of amylase enzyme in the pancreas.
- Other tests may include Serum lipase and Serum trypsinogen which involves identification of trypsinogen and lipase enzyme in the body.
There is no permanent treatment available for this disease. Though in case of severe pain and weight loss the patients would have to stay in hospital for pain killers and external fluids insertion .
The remedy for the patients with chronic pancreatitis is:
- Drinking lot of liquid
- Eating proper and light diet which involves low fat items
- Limiting caffeine consumption
- Giving enough vitamins and calcium in the diet
In chronic pancreatitis, the only treatment is removal of the pancreas from the body.
Thus if a person is found to be suffering from chronic pancreatitis he/she must take an immediate and a proper treatment and take the utmost care , to relieve from pain.